Are You Addicted to Facebook?? Am I Addicted to Facebook?
Could I be a… a Facebook Addict? a Pinterest Fanatic? a Social Net Site Junkie? an Aficionada of all things social media related? Twitterpated with Tweets? a Smartphone Media Network Enthusiast?
How do you KNOW if you are addicted? Do people EVER SEE their addictions for what they are? Are social sites REALLY a “drug” of choice for a lot of people today?? Is it easier to see others addiction AND could I be blind to my own???
Am I on-line more than I realize? Do I lose track of time when I am on a social site? Do I hit the on-line community to avoid less liked tasks and down-time in my life? How do I interact with my Facebook friends when we meet face-to-face? How often pick up the cell or click over to Facebook? Twitter? Instagram? Pinterest?
What do I post? How many pins a day? How often do I post status updates? Am I addicted to the “Likes” or Re-Tweets/Re-Pins (acceptance of others)?
Sure, there ARE good aspects and benefits to social media. But I must question… do they steal my time and attention from the life I have been given? After all, I am only given so much time in a lifetime…how much is being thrown into the cyber world? Could I be doing more constructive things with my time?
WHAT ARE SIGNS OF SOCIAL NETWORK ADDICTION???
After scanning numerous articles here are few things that COULD mean you are addicted …
- Do you sign in to any of the social media when you first get up and before you turn in?
- Do you spend more than an hour each day on Social media?
- Do you judge others by their Facebook profile/pages, Instagram Images, Pinterest Pins, Twitter Profile?
- Do you post even once each day a status update?
- Do you feel anxiety when someone doesn’t respond to your post, message, chat, comment, or other interaction?
- Do you feel the need to add more and more friends/follows/etc?
- Do you feel anxious if you have not logged in and read feeds from your friends/follows?
- Are you concerned if you don’t log into Pinterest you might miss the best Fashion, Recipe, Quote, DIY, Home/Garden, or Photography Pins?
- Do you change/update your profile or pictures more than necessary?
- Do you compare your REAL life with the “cyber-life” of others?
- Do you check or update your Social Media (Facebook/Instagram/Twitter, et al) while you are out with friends/family?
- When asked how many friends you have do you automatically list the number on Facebook?
- Do you daily refer to something in conversation that you saw on Facebook/Twitter/Pinterest?
Hmmmm….. Still not sure? Here is a short survey http://theoatmeal.com/quiz/facebook_addict
I think the only way a person will truly KNOW if he/she has an addiction to social media is to take a hiatus from it.
So, Let’s see HOW addicted I really am… Here’s the experiment I’ve decided to take a hiatus from my most accessed social media networks …. I will post my blog (which updates on Facebook and other social media profiles automatically) but otherwise I will cut out my use of Facebook/Pinterest/Twitter/for the next couple of weeks. I will not be logging in directly to these sites at all. I am CONVINCED that I am Not an addict!! So this should be easy- Right?!?! —- =)
Are you addicted? Are you Unsure if you are a Facebook/Twitter/Instagram/Pinterest Addict? How about your kids? Why not Challenge your children as well to go without using their social media for 2 full weeks!!
if anybody else wants to join in on this FACEBOOK /SOCIAL NETWORK BREAK CHALLENGE – let me know you are in… email me ,or respond on my blog page (you can comment/like on my Facebook , ReTweet or Favorite on Twitter but remember I won’t be logging in to respond) But anyone is welcome to join in. It’s a TWO-WEEK SOCIAL NETWORK BREAK and it begins when you sign on. I am interested to hear from you – let me know how it goes with your challenge! 🙂