OK I know it won’t literally “Kill” me but this Facebook Hiatus is more difficult than I anticipated!!!
Yepp, I will admit I miss it – and I have a Facebook/social media habit! But I am recovering… \(^_^)/ à One day at a time!!!
A few journal notes ….
Day One— Am very thankful that I had the foresight to turn off all Facebook notifications so that I would not be pulled immediately back into using the social media. It was a big thing for me to actually LOG OUT of Facebook on my phone (don’t know why, just something detaching and cold about it) Many times I inadvertently still found myself thinking – I wonder what my friends are up to today (keep in mind I can call and ask but it’s easier if they are all updating Facebook right!?!?)
Day Two- Eye Opening…. One of my morning thoughts….Check Facebook- wish my friends a great day- see who’s having a birthday. Did this friend have a great trip? Wonder whether this person’s event went well- I sure hope so. Even with good intentions the evidence is here. Oh, I have a terrible habit… why is it I think I need to check Fbk/Pinterest/Twitter in the morning? What is going on in this world that I MUST check my social network to get updated? After making it through the morning without a social network fix… I get an email from a family member about an opportunity they think I’d like to participate in…. Guess what? You HAVE to sign up thru Facebook so it’s a no go! Have you noticed everybody (businesses) wants you to “Like” them on Facebook or “Follow them on Twitter for special offers, discounts, etc YIKES–when did this happen???!!
Day Three- Getting easier. Still have the thought multiple times throughout the day to check into the social media and see what’s happening in others lives, make a post or two. Fight the urge to log in- Fight it !!!!! Am finding that without the logging in on various social media I DO Have more time on my hands- That’s A PLUS -for a mom who doesn’t have enough hours in a day for what needs to be done!
Day Four: Woke this morning feeling a bit more introverted /“anti-social” which is odd for me. But I fight it by deciding to get out of my little corner of the world and get some things done. Thoroughly enjoyed the workday scheduled at the church and a few errands then back home to do my yard work. (Thankfully the grass is dry enough to mow!!! ) Not feeling anti-social anymore 😀 I think being on the social media maybe hindering me socially because it’s not Face-to-Face social interaction. I think I need to be more Real Life social (personally) and less media social.
Day Five: I haven’t really noticed the “need” to post anything today, but it was a rather busy day. I really enjoyed talking to friends at church, Bible Small Group Time and our Worship Service today.Spent some time thinking and putting some things in perspective.
Here is what I have noticed so far….
Turning off the social media opened up time so that I…
- Had time to read. I know this may sound odd, but I actually had time to sit down prop up my feet and spend some time diving into written word this week. (Not the rushed/ on a time limit/ can’t remember what I read) but true relaxing recreational enjoyment reading
- Turned in my homework a day early 🙂 Yay me!!! (Instead of 1 hour before it was due)
- Had time to do more Bible Study and quiet time this week.
- Got a few more things accomplished during my day than I expected. Definitely have found myself more productive in the time I am spending on projects.
- Took a walk in the Rain and Loved it! I am still wondering where ALL that rain was coming from— because the sky looked like this!!!
- Took time for my kids to read to me a little before bed time.
- My edginess/grumpiness seems to be wearing off ( Not quite sure where it comes from– maybe time pressures/life pressures/ maybe internal pressure to get more things done OR maybe its withdrawal symptoms — I get edgy like that when I attempt to cut out my caffeine! )
- Took time to see the sunset
- Emotionally, I seem to be a little “happier”/ accepting with where my life is right now =)
- Sat down in the hammock for the second time this summer.
The social media network hiatus continues…
Thanks for checking out my blog today. If you are joining me on the 2 week hiatus from your most accessed social media networks then email me how it’s going for you or comment.
Have a Great week !